nick venedi

Thursday 30 April 2009

Who helps the Helpers and who supports the Protectors?

I haven't been able to do much on here for the last two days as I have been feeling a bit unwell. Still feeling sad about the loss of fellow Branch Secretary Malcolm who was such a nice guy and a committed trade union activists. His death has made me think again about how difficult this job is (Branch Secretary) and how difficult it is to get support when you are feeling the stress and continuous pressure. I am always told that the buck stops with me in the Branch and that it is my responsibility to do everything and be all things to all men (and women of course..) Who helps those who help others and where is the support for those of us fighting constant battles and having to deal with constantly changing priorities which bring huge amounts of pressure? Who cares for those of us who have given up careers to serve those we represent? The answer is there is nothing and no one, we only have each other for support and to try and reduce the level of stress. This can't be right? The union structures offer nothing and the employer doesn't want to know!
Nick Venedi

No comments:

Post a Comment