nick venedi

Thursday 30 December 2010

The Lambeth Unison years, the diary





I have now been able to go through my personal diary, kept since 1988 and have managed to get most of the information in order. Facts that I recorded (there are some gaps) will probably make good or interesting reading on how one of the most dynamic branches in the country developed, progressed and survived over a period of 20 years.
Most of what I have to say is positive and constructive but like with any other story telling venture some of what I have to say may not be appreciated by a few, at the same time parts of what will be written may not make me look good either, but that's how accurate story telling goes.
Lambeth Unison is a strong, dynamic vibrant TU branch with many unique characters . The branch draws its strength from its diversity but it is that diversity of backrounds and opinions that may have led to some conflicts and misunderstandings. I have always seen those in the branch as members of a very extensive family. I am proud to be an active member of Lambeth Unison and to have served its for more than 2 decades. I dedicate this diary to my many friends in Lambeth Unison.

The diary will cover:

The 12 week payroll dispute and how it divided and united at the same time the branch;
The service plan during the Linda Bellos years and severe cuts;
The fight with the Thacher government;
Reg Race report;
The censuring of a Branch Secretary by the Branch Committee and the habit of turning against Branch Secs;
The removal from office of an ex Branch Secretary (who became Chair) and the hostility towards him;
Refusal of ex NUPE branch to merge with Lambeth Unison A;
Disputes with region and national;
The Jon Rogers affect and the general Secretary election;
United left connection;
The London Weighting Dispute and mad strategies;
Relationship with regional Secs, Chris Humphries, Nick Wright, Linda Perks;
The 6 years as regional Finance Convenor;
Heather Rabbats years;
How Revenues and Benefits were privatised in 1997 and how we won the battle to bring them back in house;
The link with Lambeth Labour;

Other campaigns and disputes and other major events.

I shall start publishing the diary in the early part of January and I shall cover major events not necessarily in chronological order, I will of course make corrections if someone who was there has a different recollection of what happened.
My quote....
'' I never expected to be loved by everyone but I am happy that the vast majority of those I supported could have benefited from my genuine desire to help them. I have always been able to separate political disagreements from personal hostility and antipathy and have always led from the front never hesitating to take on challenges or take action to protect the branch and its integrity. I may disagree with some in the branch but I will fight to protect their right to say what they think... ''

No comments:

Post a Comment