nick venedi

Wednesday 20 January 2010

London Unison

There is nothing like the prospect of some election to get Unison comrades excited especially in London. What with the prospect of the London Regional Council elections on the 3 February and the possibility that there could be a quick election called for the General Secretary's position. Everyone is talking about both.
On the Regional Council elections I have made it clear that I will be supporting Margaret Greer. I have often declared that my real loyalties go to the well organised Self Organised Groups and the BWG is standing a capable candidate that will make a difference. I have said it before and will say it again that there are something like 20 to 25% of people in the region who are closely linked and come from a Self Organised Group background a force that has been ignored by many. We have often been brushed aside but I know that my electoral success before, for example, had a lot to do with this affiliation. I am supporting Margartet because she is a good organiser and will unite the region.
I remain sceptical on the wider question of the General Secretary position and whilst I believe that there must be elections as often as possible (like we have at branch level) I also know that the GS is like the President of Portugal in other words she or he deals with ceremony. So I would like to see who is being put up. If we wanted to be mad and go for the long term then someone with a lot of energy like James Caspel in Lambeth could be good if he wanted to stand. But there are others and the debate will no doubt go on for a long time unless the NEC today go for a coup and declare an election or confirm Dave Prentis in post? Confusing? Its meant to be! Apologies to some of my personal friends (like Martin in Germany) who read this blog and will have no idea what am talking about..

7 comments:

  1. You are taking the piss mate! Grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well looks like DP will be standing again? Who else is in the running and what about the question of having a woman candidtae? I am lost in space again.. still the most interesting development will come from the divied left?
    Mary Fairweather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 21.14

    How do I know? My mother doesn't want to stand..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't you all give up..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why on earth are you supporting Margaret Greer? What record has she got and how is it different from that of Gloria??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon 16.32

    Margaret is an excellent organiser and has pushed forward the agenda for the BWG for many years. She is also inspiring.

    ReplyDelete