nick venedi

Wednesday 27 May 2009

The wine festival

Those of you who read the blog would have seen a previous entry referring to the great recruitment and exposure opportunity Unison could have had at the annual Greek wine festival which takes place in June.
The Regional Committee was certainly interested in the idea and understood that us having a stall at a venue attended by more than 30 000 people in a two day period would be good for us. But I now have to report that following my immediate approach to the regional office I was told that my branch would have to submit an application to the GPF. This is going to be very difficult as the next Branch committee is in the middle of June. The event has also very little to do with Lambeth Unison. It is held in Harringey and is London wide.
I am very disappointed with this development and know for a fact that our presence in other festivals does not have to come from any specific branch and it confirms my suspicion and that of others that smaller minorities are not taken seriously at all. I was prepared to organise the entire thing and have volunteers on the stall for the two days so I can't see why we have been blocked like this. I shall look into this further and ask the Regional Finance Convenor to comment.

4 comments:

  1. I am somewhat surprised that you are suggesting I did not respond.I responded to your email of the 14th May within minutes in the following terms "we would certainly be interested in principle yes, question is how do we get the Region onboard?" From my personal email address. Perhaps you should have a check on your spam filter. Obviously thereafter I was awaiting further information or perhaps a call or similar.

    Cheers

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sean
    I know it would have been out of character for you not to reply. Will look at my spam filters tomorrow. I apologise for assuming you were not interested and will remove the relevant comment.

    All the best and please accept my apologies.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem its the AOL address that JR gave you, (for obvious reasons not goign to type it here) and I know some spam filters dont like aol (I dont like them sometimes myself!)

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies again Sean. I got this one wrong. Sorry!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete