nick venedi

Thursday 7 May 2009

Meeting Gordon Brown and Caroline Flint




I was invited to a reception organised by the foreign office last night. The event was put together by Caroline Flint, Minister for Europe and it took place at the superb Locarno Hall of the foreign office building which is of course situated in St Charles Street.


Apart from the splendour of the building (something that Gordon commented on) the evening was more pleasant than spectacular. I was there because of my involvement with initiatives in the Greek community. This was also not a Labour party event as I spotted the odd none Labour party person amongst the 80 or so guests from the community.


I managed to have a quick word with Gordon Brown for about one minute ( probably less) and devoted that brief time to mentioning the Parthenon Marbles and how important their return it is to us the question of a solution to the Cyprus problem was also discussed by many others. I wasn't unfortunately able to have any more time with him or mention the 200 other issues I would want him to have in mind. He looked very relaxed and kept making jokes constantly saying that he would extend the invitation to us all next year and after May in Downing street. He gave the impression that he was amongst friends which made the rest of my Hellenic comrades feel good. I left the reception before it ended but left feeling that Gordon is getting a bad press and that he deserves better. There are issues about his image I suppose but he appears genuine and I think his simple mannerism will appeal to the voters. I also found Caroline Flint to be interesting but I don't know much about what she has done before to make any major comments. Her speech on Greek issues was positive but then I wouldn't have expected her not to do that given that all her guests were leaders of that community.

3 comments:

  1. if this is your employment law / union blog why are you bleating on about your social life relating to your activities in / for the greek community!!! my understanding is that your invite to meet the 'toads' was in relation to that work or were you worried that not many ppl would see that blog if you left it on your other 'things greek' blog, now you have massaged your ego maybe you should move it to its rightful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick
    Good post. This shows the Party at its best and how inclusive it tries to be.

    Gordon Brown in person does come over much, much better than on Telly (don't mention YouTube)

    I wonder when “hooligan” anon will wake up and realise he is completely and utterly wasting his life on LaLa politics?

    Please tell him from me.

    ReplyDelete