nick venedi

Thursday 14 May 2009

The annual Greek wine festival

I was pleased with the 'informal' response from members of the regional committee yesterday who seemed to agree that we (Unison) should have a presence at the wine festival which is taking place on the 27th and 28th of June at Alexandra Palace.
This is a huge event that attracts a great number of people from the Greek community and other friends. I was there last year ( under a table most of the time as I had to taste some of the wine...) and was impressed with the large number of young people there. The venue is huge and the organisation that puts it together tells me that they had around 90 000 people (based on ticket sales) last year so I am sure this will be a good recruitment opportunity for us. The organisers did not understand why Trade Unions had never asked to have a stall there. Anyway I will submit an application to the Finance Team and see whether I can organise something so that we have a presence there at least for one of the two days. Any volunteers who wish to help can contact me. Ah yeah and the reason is called the wine festival is because its an ancient Greek tradition from 4,000 years ago people would get together after the wine harvest to celebrate the God Bacchus ( and get pissed) and that tradition has been retained. Leaders of the community over here have therefore carried on and the London festival has been around for 20 years. Nothing to do (yeah right...) with the need to have a bottle of wine or two...

No comments:

Post a Comment