nick venedi

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Tony Blair and his green book

Yes his little book, all 700 pages of it, has been published, and of course its not about the philosophy of revolution or the origin of species, no our Tony wouldn't know where to start with that one. I am not sure I will be buying it as I am always weary of those who write their own biographies they will gloss over whatever grey skies they created and make their story sound better than what we know it was.

The interesting thing is that the press have reacted to the story about the rift between Brown and Blair as it was something new. Everyone knew they couldn't stand each other and they did not have a love hate relationship like the one myself and Jon of the Rogers had. In our case (and yes am bringing this back to me, me, me..) we had a clear division of labour and we worked well together. I managed the branch on a day to day basis and Jon dealt with the 'revolution' so the lines of division were very clear and obvious and it worked well. We ended up disagreeing because I believed that a branch with 2,300 members had to be managed and some discipline was needed and he wanted a more liberal approach and a free for all, so at the end I left to allow him to do it his way and I wish him the best of luck. He can be a very capable guy when he wants to be but needs to be more assertive.

In contrast Gordon Brown was more ruthless and didn't have a very strong support base. Blairs problem was of course that he saw the job of being PM as a necessary evil and a way to be on the world stage. He had spend more time abroad than here in the UK and it wouldn't matter in some respect had he managed to achieve some major break through. No bloody idea as to why anyone thought he should be appointed special envoy to the Middle East? His contribution to sorting that problem out gets 0 out of 10, I wonder what excuse he uses in his book on that one? So in fairness to him (not that I feel like being fair) his only contribution was to attract some of the floating voters and therefore get the Labour party elected.









No comments:

Post a Comment