nick venedi

Friday 10 September 2010

The Lambeth years 1988 part 3, Clear divisions...

So I got elected Shop Steward for the central areas of DMS (Directorate of Management Services) and begun the fight against job cuts and and an internal battle with those who were ignoring the interests and needs of BWG members. The fact that I was involved with that surprised and annoyed me as I did not believe we should be fighting each other in times of great danger.

There were two divisions and it was obvious that Lambeth NALGO was split in some way between those supporting the Mike Waller, Tony Jules administration and those opposing them. Mike Waller had been Branch Secretary for many years. I remember later on in 1989 when I was elected Convenor and begun attending Convenors committee how organised and systematic the attacks against Mike were. Mike Waller was clearly in favour of Self organised groups and his Assistant, Tony Jules, was a leading member of the BWG. There were constant attempts from those who wanted the 'power' (that's how they saw it) against Mike and Tony, but the SOG's and the central areas stood firm and defended the Branch Secretary.

There were obvious but sad divisions within Lambeth NALGO and the disturbing thing was that a small group of ultra leftists (I exclude the SWP from this group as they have always been genuine and have acted honorably in most cases) were clearly against the leaders and the idea behind the BWG. It was as clear as rain that they did not believe that Self Organisation was necessary and they wanted everyone and everything digested by their own little and mostly stupid 'clique' and profoundly ridiculous policies and tactics. This problem did in fact persist until recently when BWG Leaders in Lambeth Unison were singled out and attacked at every opportunity and I will give examples of this and name names when I get to 2008 to 2010.

So my first impression of Lambeth NALGO was one where I could see hope with achieving change within the Self Organisation structures but could not understand the ferocity of opposition from the small ultra left groups against the BWG who were after all there to defend a neglected and often over seen large minority of members. I wanted to change the balance so I got involved with the fight! I became a reluctant Leader of the push for Equality within the union something I never imagined I would have to be doing! It became important to take on two fights a fight with the employer and a fight with the ultra left.








No comments:

Post a Comment