nick venedi

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Neil Kinock, Michael Foot, or someone completely different?

I conducted a perfectly scientific survey in a pub last night in Clapham, the opinion poll involved 8 people that I happened to speak to whilst having a drink or 6 with friends. I asked those who did not even know they were participating in this fantastic research effort what they thought of Ed Milliband. 3 out of the 8 did not know who or what he was so they were excluded from the findings as they did not have an opinion and were more interested in the next round of drinks rather than politics. The sample of the remaining 5 had a collection of views. Two of the 5 thought that the Labour party could be on its way back to the Michael Foot, or Neil Kinock days when it was almost impossible to win an election. One thought that Ed had to look more comfortable and less shocked on camera and another decided that he should get off the fence and support strike action. What's a new generation by the way?? He is 40 for Gods sake!

I would imagine that most people would be having debates about where those of us in the Labour party can be going with this result. I made no secret of the fact that I supported David Milliband even though I was critical in the past of his position with the Iraq war. But I know that David could win an election against D Cameron and could wipe him off the face of the earth. This was indeed what motivated me and not a true love of the person. So I was voting taking into consideration practical factors, such us the need to win a bloody election.

Saying that I would now concentrate on supporting a leader who was fairly elected and do my bit to ensure that he makes that difference. Ed, however, needs to be clearer as to what he means by a new generation taking over. He needs to come to terms with the fact that at the age of 40 he is relatively speaking and within a political context young but not that young. David Milliband is of the same generation as he is and so are many of us. He packed the platform with members under 30 which may have looked good on telly but he needs to remember that the average age of a Labour party member is between 45 to 55 so he needs to remember that. I am also hoping that David will simply go back to be an ordinary MP and stay in the background ready to take over if or when the time is right. There is no joy in being politically right but in opposition for ever!!

















S

No comments:

Post a Comment