nick venedi

Friday 14 May 2010

Facing reality...


Well we now have a ConLib government so the opportunists have taken over the asylum so to speak. We have William Hague in the foreign office and my name sake Nick Clegg is Deputy PM. I don't know of many Deputy PM's mentioned extensively in any of the history books so lets see how long this one lasts.


I am now turning my attention to the election for General Secretary for Unison and having been relieved of my 'Lambeth connection' I can now make comments without worrying that I will upset people that I have worked with for many years. So looking at who is standing and applying real time benefit analysis I would say that from where I am standing it will be silly to do anything to remove Dave Prentis from office. He has the best profile amongst TU Leaders in the country and has done a lot to lobby for change. Paul Holmes could be seen as the man who could express the aspirations of those on the fringe but his profound (apparently) refusal to work with new technology puts him at a great disadvantage. The position requires the winner to be an excellent communicator and whilst making a good speech is nice being able to be a good all rounder is essential. So as an existing Unison member I will be supporting Dave Prentis even if it means lunch with those I left behind next Wednesday is cancelled. Dave gets my vote!







No comments:

Post a Comment