nick venedi

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Conference on Cyprus

I wasn't able to do my usual morning entry this morning as I was a delegate at the Cyprus conference which took place at the Metropolitan University. The first thing I noticed when I arrived at 9.00 a.m (yes that's when they start in the real world.. lol) was one or two leaflets from Unison which of course made me feel proud.

This was a conference organised by the Cyprus study centre based at the university and it had many participants from a selection of representative groups (Greek, Turkish and British) the main theme was of course the 50 years of the Republic and the current division of the island. The Republics official spokesman Stefanos Stefanou was there representing the government. All the delagates made constructive and positive contributions to the overall debate and the discussion was facilitated by revolving chairs the main one being my friend Peter Droussiotis who is the President of the Federation.

I was also impressed by the number of delegates who spoke about ways and means through which the two main communities on the island can work together and work withing trade union structures was mentioned many times. I presented my own paper which was about organising representation for the community here in London in a more coherent way which was very well received but it looks like I will now have to go away and produce a precise course of action. There is a wind of change in the air and I hope that progressive people on both sides can utilise the opportunity to find a fair solution.

http://www.archive.org/details/CyprusCentreatLondonMetConferenceCyprus50YearsofIndependence-PoliticalandEconomicAsp






No comments:

Post a Comment