nick venedi

Tuesday 1 September 2009

Will a United Europe ever work?

I haven't been able to do much over the weekend as I spend a lot of time with friends who were over here from Holland. There was a point where we had 7 different states represented in my garden on Monday afternoon which was nice. We didn't talk much about politics but at one stage a discussion started about the benefits of having a United Europe. My English guests were, as expected ( a bit of a stereotype there) against any idea of integrating more whereas the rest of us were very much into the concept. Of course no one can draw any decisive conclusions from a conversation based on what a number of people were thinking on a Monday afternoon in a garden in South London but the one thing that stays in my mind is the fact that there are a lot of people making decisions based on incorrect information. It is my view that whatever the argument against a United Europe are the fact that it will guarantee fewer wars between us is good enough reason to continue the quest. I am also convinced that the little Englander mentality is still at large in this country and it is just being played down by the media. Either that or the fact that the Franco German alliance doesn't park well in the English drive way may be the reason as to why my English friends (including my English partner) are so anti Europe! This is sad but at the same time knowing that historical evolution cannot be stopped makes me feel that these minor objections will not prevent greater integration and achieve the ultimate goal of a United Europe. I look forward to the day when we have a European President with real powers (hopefully someone from Spain) and instead of having local Prime Ministers we have Governors something on the lines of what was predicted in that famous book 'Kleintown' a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment