nick venedi

Tuesday 8 September 2009

Police time

I was talking to a friend of a friend who is a police officer. She was telling me that she spends a lot of her time having to fill in reports and do stats around 30% of her time is spend on that. I do not, unlike others I know of, think the police are by nature bad. I also think they do a very difficult job and like Ken Livingstone I am of the opinion that if we could see more of them walking around and more frequently that would reduce crime on the streets. So whilst I accept that the right information should be recorded whenever an arrest is made there are different ways of saving time. A special unit, for example, could be set up with the specific task of taking voice activated statements from a police officer. A report can then be prepared for the officer to sign. This simple step would save police officer time. I am a firm believer that simple solutions are always the best way to improve service delivery. So why don't they invest time and resources in setting up a voice recognition system to record incidents? Have more officers on the street I say and train them well. An inclusive diverse police force doing the walks is the best way to reduce crime whilst the arm chair sociologists can spend more time coming up with text books telling us what is wrong with society!

No comments:

Post a Comment