nick venedi

Tuesday 23 June 2009

The truth about Steve Reed...

I spend some time thinking on how to present and start the 'banana files' and decided that profiling those I know influence the Levithan would be a good way of doing it, so I am starting from the top.
First I have a confession to make and state that Steve Reed, Leader of Lambeth Council is a friend. I have known Steve for many years so fortunately I know the man behind the face (if you see what I mean)
Steve Reed took over from Tom Franklin before the last municipal elections in 2006. He was Deputy to Tom during that period. Steve surprised everyone by fighting a decisive battle in 2006 and winning Lambeth for Labour. This had a lot to do with his ability to chose the right people on his team and encourage Jackie Meldrum to stand with him as his deputy. There were some remarkable victories in some wards throughout Lambeth which showed how strategic and dynamic Steve is.
In terms of what and how he has performed in the last 4 years I would say that he has made a few tactical mistakes and his choice of flirting with the privatisation monster is a mistake, something that I have raised with him on a few occassions. I feel that his decision to give in to pressure from the Milbank bananas and go for the Lambeth Living venture was a big error.
Steve has been criticised by those on the left for being too right wing but that is not true. He listens to the Unions and comes from a TU background especially since his mother was an active TU official for many years. I will leave my criticism of what he did with the Lambeth Living adventure on one side for now. On the positive side Steve is not someone who will not get involved and get his hands dirty if things are not going well within the organisation something that previous leaders refused to do. He is definitely going to score another victory next year at the 2010 municipal elections and will show that Lambeth will never surrender to the Tories! He has my support on this!
Steve Reed is a hands on player and not a passenger that is good for Lambeth and good for the Labour party. I know that his desire is to become an MP and I also know that he will one day get there but for the time being there is a job to be done in the land of Lambeth and he is the right person to do this.

8 comments:

  1. How can you defend someone who is presiding over the sacking of many UNISON members and cuts to local services, whilst consultants earn £1000’s a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick

    I would say that as a Unison and Labour party member living and working in the borough Steve Reed has made a number of mistakes but he is the best we have right now. His strategy in the Eiropean elections produced the results so in that respect he is delivering the goods. I don't think you were saying he is Mr perfect?

    Mark, Norwwod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon at 17.27
    If you read cerefully (and I know you do that) you will see that what I am defending is Steve the campaigner and the factor that ensured victory for the Labour party in Lambeth. My article skeaks of my opposition to several decisions he has made and for allowing Milbank to dectate policies. I have openly criticised him for that. The use of consultants at £800 a day is a total disgrace and myself and Jon have on several occassions ctiticised him and will continou to do so... but he is the best we have in terms of Labour party right now...
    Nick

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon at 13.26

    Yes I agree and thanks for clarifying.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just a middle class guy pretending to be on the left like all your Laborite mates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon at 21.01

    Thanks Anon. Suppose it will be true to say that you are so conviced of your views and confident about what you say you insist on remaining anonymous? This isn't the place to have a discussion about membership of class and your definitions of who is middle class based on what some German socilogists said when he was pissed will remain your opinion. Anyway, whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am told that your own branch committee does not agree with your views on steve reed? Is that correct? Shouldn't you be trying to bring them in line?
    Franck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon at 19.21

    This is a personal blog and as it says on the statement on top the vews expressed here are my own. There will always be people who disagree with me (I know its hard to understand..) I stand by what I say though Steve is a candid and able strategist and has the ability to coordinate election campaigns that produce victories. I am judging him using that as a measure. He has, of course, major deficiencies in terms of policy but so do most others. He is a good listener and as he states on his own personal blog has always been a Trade Unionist. You need to remember however that he is not the only person in Lambeth and the Labour party Councillors are as active and free thinking as my branch committee (if you excuse the comparison)
    Nick

    ReplyDelete