nick venedi

Friday 23 March 2012

London Mayor election - The need to challenge

People that often witness small transgressions tend to ignore them and do very little to challenge those who commit the error of judgement. I accept that it is some times better to turn the other way and not to make an issue out of something that could be seen as rather minor and some could argue that a challenge can draw attention to an issue that is actually buried away somewhere.

But I was put in a situation on Sunday when I heard Brian Paddick make an indirect statement about the Greek community in London which implied that its members were kebab shop owners or that most of them are involved in this 'industry' which is of course completely untrue. I wrote to Brian and his campaign team asking for clarification as I wasn't happy to allow the negative stereotyping of a vibrant and progressive community to go unchallenged.

I have nothing against Mr Paddick and I did, in the past, find him a rather reasonable person but I was not happy that someone who wishes to represent the whole of London could perhaps accidentally make a comment that could encourage negative images of a people. Anyone who wants to be the Mayor of London must remember who it is that she/he is representing.

A member of his team replied with a diplomatic answer and I can accept that on balance BP did not mean to sound negative but I am glad that I issued the challenge because it is not acceptable for anyone who wishes to hold public office to be making statements based on prejudiced assumptions. I insist that zero tolerance applies to all incidence that relate to this type of a situation.

http://lawatwork.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/greek-community.html

http://lawatwork.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/greek-community-in-london.html

http://lawatwork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/lgr-supporting-greek-community.html

No comments:

Post a Comment